While there are still some projects left for the future and some little touch ups to be made, it is done enough to take pictures. We were so burnt out from the summer projects redoing our yard that we just couldn't even begin to think about the other projects needing to be done. We slowly got back into things by painting the pool house, the hall way, and the foyer. We decided it was time to get going on the kitchen, at least painting the cabinets. We were going to keep the black appliances for now since we didn't want to spend the money to replace them yet. I know I will disappoint you with before pictures, because who takes pictures of things their not proud of? I took some in progress pictures though. We started by priming the cabinets, then eventually replaced hardware and gave them 3 coats of Swiss Coffee. We went to Lowes to look for veneer to cover the end cabinet and ended up getting appliances while we were there! Come on! They were a great deal. The nice stainless steel counter-depth Fridgidaire was half off! We had to get a new cook top as the old Jenn Air was probably 30 years old and only half of it worked. We also got a new dishwasher, which is amazing! I just thought it was the water pressure that prevented the food from coming off our dishes, but this new dishwasher works so well. Not even a water spot! Okay, okay...time to reveal. Here are the pics of the transformation:
See the dark wood? It made the kitchen feel so small. Oh, and the hanging cabinet prevent me from using the hutch portion of my china cabinet.
Plus it was just above my eye level that I kept hitting my head on it! It was ugly and made the kitchen feel smaller as well. It had to go!
My father-in-law, Barry; brother-in-law, Justin; and Daniel took down the cause of my headaches. Look how open it got!
Our new dishwasher that Daniel installed himself! You can see we didn't have money to replace counter tops and flooring.
Our new refrigerator that Daniel, too, installed. I love it!
This was the hardest to install ourselves. It was an undertaking to take out the old cooktop as it had a vent in it going through the floor and out of the house. We patched up the hole and had to cut the tile a bit to fit it in there. We thought we could do it with a reciprocating saw with a carbide blade. This was not working as it was really hard to control. We headed to Home Depot and purchase the carbide blade for the circular saw. It was quite scary at first as it shot dust and sparks. I stopped Daniel quickly and we ran for masks, which we should've had to begin with, and covered things we didn't want dust on. Boy was it a mess! When we got the hole cut out, it was so easy to install. I love my ceramic cooktop!
We had to keep the old wall oven as we couldn't afford to replace it yet. We hope to one day get a built-in wall oven with microwave.
The finished kitchen! We kept the original wood chair railing and molding to go with the dormer and to flow into our den/family room that has wood paneling and built-in bookcases.
And I get to use the hutch on the china cabinet that I also painted in Swiss Coffee. We also had to keep the trash compactor that we never use. The space is narrow and we weren't sure what to do with the space. I hoped to get a beverage/wine cooler to go in the space, but they are all too wide!
We installed under-cabinet lighting we got from Ikea. Love it!
Our project for this spring is to get our bamboo jungle removed out behind the shop/pool house and the pool...